Since my family is on the road so much I wanted to share a few of our insider travel tips and tricks with you this week. Trust me we’re not experts but we do have a lot of fun and manage to save a little money here and there. I thought these tips might give you a few ideas for you next family vacation!
My Top 5 Family Travel Tips and Tricks
When we’re planning our trip there are always a few things I like to take into consideration that makes the vacation a little more relaxed:
1. Weather – always a good idea, not only does it help you with packing but also planning activities. I like to know what we’re heading into before we go because hot weather means we’ll need to pack sunscreen and stock up on some water at our destination whereas rain means we should pack our rain coats and for the kids some puddle pants and rubber boots. Weather can change from day to day but if you keep an eye on a quick forecast over a week or so you’ll get a good idea of what to expect.
2. Local Maps and Websites – this is the best tip I’ve learned along the way. Checking for local blogs, city pages, or travel sites to where you are going can give you some insider tips that a normal tourist might not know. Local maps are also a huge help, don’t get me wrong a GPS and google maps on my phone are a necessity but local maps with highlighted places to see or eat are always fun to check out. We find that our vacations are less expensive when we don’t fall into the tourist traps! Checking for a City Pass and purchasing ahead of time to save on attractions is also a great way to take in all the local attractions.
3. Baggage and Packing – my favorite part! If you’re flying be sure to check the airline baggage allowances because you can save a lot of money by packing in your carry-on, we did it for a 2 week trip to Europe so I KNOW you can do it to any destination! If you’re going on a road trip you obviously have more room but why overpack if you don’t need to. We lay out our clothes we’re thinking of packing and try to make multiple outfits out of mixing and matching a few pieces and throwing in a couple accessories. Then I check to see if it can fit in my bag with a little extra room for a pair of shoes and to bring stuff back. Grab our printable packing list to help you get organized!
A little tip for a 7 day trip depending on the weather I usually pack:
- a pair of jeans
- a dress (Karina Dresses are my fav because they don’t wrinkle)
- a couple tank tops
- 2 t-shirts
- a sweatshirt
- a few accessories like a scarf or cardigan
- a pair of flats
You can always wash a few pieces either in a machine or by hand to mix and match on a different day. You’d be surprised at how creative you can get with a limited selection and it leaves a lot of room in your bag to bring stuff back!
4. Where to stay – VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner), discount hotel websites, check for online deals. We love using vrbo because you can get a house, condo, or apartment around the same price as a hotel and have a full kitchen, laundry, lots of space, and a ton of tips from the owner!
5. Groupon – We’ve saved hundreds by purchasing discounted attraction passes, hotels, and restaurant meals. You can usually find deals at most destinations or even local because they offer deals worldwide!
I hope my family travel tips and tricks give you a few ideas for your next vacation!
What is your top travel tip?
This post contains affiliate links.